- 1.5 kg venison potjie meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 50g pork fat (or chopped fatty bacon)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 small potatoes (peeled)
- 1 medium potato (diced)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 500 ml venison/beef stock (preheat before adding)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 kg mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, pumpkin, peas etc)
- 1 Handful chopped fresh herbs (thyme, basil, parsley, coriander)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make It
Pour olive oil into pot and when hot, add venison and pork fat/bacon.
Add onions and garlic and simmer gently for a few minutes.
Add pre-heated stock and wine, replace lid securely and simmer for about ½ hour.
Add hard veggies, such as potatoes, squash & pumpkin (in layers), herbs and seasoning and replace lid.
Cook on very slow heat for about 3 hours.
Add the softer veggies 30 minutes or so before serving.
Replace lid and continue cooking.